Analytical Types (units with glass doors)
1) Remove the weighing pan. Wrap it in several layers of bubble-pack material.
2) Place the instrument in a plastic bag, to keep cushioning material out of the instrument.
3) Verify that the floor plate of the weighing chamber is secure, and can’t move even if the shipping box is turned upside down.
4) Use a huge box, with room for at least 3 inches of loose-fill material on all sides. QCS / IES double boxes, using an outer box which is 26" tall, 23" long, and 19" wide.
5) Tape the doors shut using masking tape. Some units can have the doors or the entire draft shield removed, please do so. Call if you need help with this. For Mettler AT’s see: "AT -- Packaging and Glass Doors / Mettler." Call QCS / IES for help.
6) Place any accessories (the wrapped pan, subpan, and any other parts) in a separate box or bag close to the top of the box.
7) If the unit uses a wall-mount power supply, include it. Do not send standard power cords.
8) Enclose the QCS / IES RMA document or Balance Repair Initiation Form so that it won’t be overlooked; either inside the packing list envelope, or attached directly to the instrument with removable tape.
Please also see:
Adds to the cost of any repair but also adds valuable time.
UPS, for example, has a five step process for reviewing claims:
A few extra minutes can save a lot time !
Remember: Remove any glass that can reasonably be disassembled & and keep at your location.